Jason Kanter, LMSW
- Integrational Psychotherapist, private practice, New York City.
- Co-founder and consultant to NYC Child Welfare Project, a public advocacy project designed to improve service delivery in the child welfare system through integrated intervention in case specific, systemic/operations and policy areas. Operations oversight, program development, policy initiatives, staff supervision, individual case advocacy.
- Management Consultant in IT development, policy and planning to New York City's child welfare system.
- Yoga Teacher at New York Open Center, as well as many social service settings including preventive service programs and group homes.
- Counseling skills training for staffs of public entities, such as school-based health clinics.
- Trainer in communications skills for corporate managers and executives.
- Services including short and long term psythotherapy, crisis intervention, case advocacy and assessment and referral to a variety of organizations, including social services, unions and others.
- Social work and management and training services in the public and private non- profit sectors, including family, group and individual therapy, vocational counseling, job development and placement services, pre-employment and life skills training. Settings included specialized programs for the unemployed, ex-offenders, substance abusers, physically and psychiatrically impaired and developmentally disabled, adolescents, and their families, and children in foster care.
Provided consulting, range planning and other services for these agencies:
- NYC Administration for Children's Services, Division of Policy & Planning/Office of Policy and Procedures
- PSI International - Connections Implementation Project, New York City child welfare system.
- New York City Public Advocate's Office, Fund for Public Advocacy: Child Welfare Database Project
- National Association of Social Workers: NYC Chapter Staff Recruitment and Retention Task Force
- Community Service Society of New York (CSS) Conference Coordinator for NYC Charter Revision Commission
- CSS Representative to: Citizens for Charter Change, Emergency Alliance for Homeless Families and Children, Alterbudget: Charter Revision Committee and Human Service Infrastructure Committee.
- Council of Family and Child Caring Agencies
- Community Service Society of New York
- Child Abuse and Neglect Education Project, Hunter College School of Social Work
Other responsibilities/ memberships/ leadership:
- National Association of Social Workers: NYC Chapter, Staff Recruitment and Retention Task Force, member, co-chair
- Community and Social Agency Employees Union, Local 215 - District Council 1707, AFSCME, vice-president
- Federation Employment and Guidance Service, Chapter chair
- Master of Social Work, Hunter College School of Social Work, 1988
- Post-graduate, Cornell University, School of Industrial and Labor Relations, 1983-1985
- BA, Psychology/Human Relations, Queens College, 1972
- Somatic Experiencing Trauma Institute - body-awareness based approach to healing from the effects of trauma
- EMDR training, National Institute for Psychotherapies
- New Frontiers in Yoga: Extensive coursework in movement, anatomy and physiology with the philosophy and practice of yoga. School for Bodymind Centering
- Yoga teacher certification, Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health
- Yoga Therapist Certification, Phoenix Rising
- Extensive coursework in individual and group psychotherapy and group facilitation, the Concord Institute
- Study of the Chakra System and applications to psychology and healing. Sacred Centers
- Other Bodywork and Movement Training: Tai Massage, Trager, Cranio-Sacral, Amerta Movement, Authentic movement, Healing Tao, Holographic Breathwork
- National Association of Social Workers
- Kripalu Yoga Teachers Association
References and more details: Available upon request